Sunday, January 10, 2010

Brunchtastic!

Last weekend I hosted some friends for brunch. The crowd was smaller than expected due to a weekend long snowstorm, in keeping with tradition for my winter parties. I'm better than the farmer's almanac - if I'm throwing a party and it's the wintertime, it will snow.

Guests who braved the snow were treated to a bonanza of eggy and bacony delights. One of the highlights was homemade granola, which went amazingly well with the Stonyfield Vanilla Yogurt.

Granola

1 c. hazelnuts
1 c. almonds
1 c. walnuts
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
1 t. vanilla extract
2 c. old-fashioned rolled oats

Preheat the oven to 325°.

Spread the nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast for about 8 minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from the oven and let cool. With a rolling pin, crush the nuts until coarse.

In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, orange zest, and vanilla. Add the oats and stir to coat. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and toast for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the nuts.

To serve, stir into yogurt.

Keeps for a couple of weeks when stored in an airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, snowstorms! A tip I got from my mom -- when I make granola, I now toast it in the microwave. It used to take 30-45 in the oven I like it pretty brown) and now it takes 6 minutes in the microwave, stirring every 2. Saves time and energy. :)

    ReplyDelete