Wednesday, June 13, 2012

CSA Inspiration: Broccoli Rabe


Broccoli rabe is another one of those vegetables that I do not love, but am compelled to cook when I find it in my CSA box. Blanching the broccoli rabe prior to sautéing it may seem like an unnecessary extra step, but blanching takes away some of the bitterness of this assertive green. My dinner guests loved this preparation when I served it last week as an accompaniment to my beet green and barley gratin.

Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes
1 large bunch broccoli rabe
Salt
3 Tbsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste

Peel any large stalks of the broccoli rabe. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, and drop in the broccoli rabe. Cook for 5 minutes, then drain, squeezing out any excess water. (I prefer to leave the broccoli rabe intact, but you can coarsely chop if you prefer.)

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook about 30 seconds, until the garlic becomes fragrant and just begins to color. Add the broccoli rabe and cook, turning repeatedly so that it is coated with the oil, about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment