Friday, June 15, 2012

CSA Inspiration: Roasted Beets

Roasting beets is super easy. They take a while to roast in the oven but the hands-on time is minimal. I line the baking sheet with foil to make for easy cleanup, because every once in a while the beet sugar leaks out of the foil wrapping and creates a dreadful mess. Once you've roasted the beets, you've got a great addition to salads. I like mine in a salad with mesclun, green leaf lettuce, or red leaf lettuce, with either goat cheese or avocado. I make an easy red wine vinaigrette to dress the salad.

Roasted Beets

Preheat the oven to 400. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Trim the greens from each beet, wash, and wrap tightly in foil. Place on the baking sheet and roast until tender. The roasting time will vary based on the size of the beet: as little as 30 minutes for very small beets; about 75 minutes for baseball-sized beets.

Once the beets are tender, remove from the oven and remove the foil wrapping. When the beets are cool enough to handle but still warm, slip off the skin. Chop or slice to use in salads.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I love beets, and always have loved beets. My friends even call me a 'beethead'...it beets me why they call me that - although, they might have meant meathead...which would be the more appropriate term for me. In any case, the problem is that I'm allergic to beets! I break out in hives, sweats, anxiety, panic, fear, and have even experienced temporary loss of vision, the trots, as well as as a tingling sensation in my lower extremities just thinking about beets. I was diagnosed with sever beetaphobia, and it was suggested that it might be due to a negative beet experience stemming from my childhood. Although, even though I was never beeten with beets! i recently started to attend beet support groups, where fellow beet enthusiasts suggested thatits possible to overcome beetaphobia by finding another beet person to help me overcome my beet'ism. Can you help? Ginnay writing from the beets Capital.

    ReplyDelete